Illustration by Vincent "ptitvinc"
Some rights reserved. This image is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
Creature Collection II by White Wolf/Sword & Sorcery
Here are a list of 18 fun monsters you can OGL loot (though with creature collections you have to change the monsters name if you publish it) from Creature Collection II. The monsters I like evocative in appearance, have well written flavor, and have mechanics that surprise and challenge players rather than just being yet another monster with Grab and a host of spell-like abilities.
Creature Collection II
- Athentia the Great Sphinx (love the conundrum curse)
- Bitter Tree (a tree that gets you with its fruitt, you could have a whole village after you).
- Blade Beast (nothing like having a creature absorb the warriors favorite weapon!)
- Blood Crone (also known as the Bloodshackle Hag from Monster Geographica this is the ultimate BBEG hag)
- Carnival of Shadows, Shadowjester (a bit like the joker from batman).
- Chaos Globe (who does not like to roll on random charts for an effect!)
- Cloudsting (a flying jellyfish air elemental of lightning and thunder.)
- Darkwomb (for when you need a monster cloning factory to fill up your dungeon!)
- Golem, Serpent (because its damn freaky to have a pile of swarming serpents be a golem!)
- Golem, Sword (see above, only a collection of swords!)
- Golem, Tar (I like this for its good host of abilities and it can just hang out in a tar pit.)
- Hurrik’s Hound (one of the few good two headed monsters I have seen)
- Ioun Beholder (just plain fun)
- Legion of One (has some amazing potential that was not realized)
- Shackle Death (players really don’t like being chained up to an undead abomination J
- Spectral Plant (nothing like making a hedge maze with these!)
- Conundrum Creature Template (why I love Athentia)
- Hex Creature Template ( I love hags, and a template that makes hag allied animals and magical beasts is awesome!)